There are many reasons why publishers should use Lightning Source as their preferred fulfillment service and/or POD (print on demand) provider. The need for these services is increasing everyday and LSI’s free online tools put them at the forefront of publishing. Their free cover generator, publisher compensation calculator, and complete fulfillment services, distinguish them from the competition. Since they are owned by Ingram, one of the world’s largest distributor, every book will be available to bookstores around the world.
Lightning Source or IngramSpark?
Lightning Source is not a self-publishing company geared towards helping authors – their primary focus is to assist publishers with their printing needs. Lightning Source prefers working with publishers instead of authors because it minimizes the need for customer support. It is assumed that publishers are more experienced in this field and therefore need less assistance.
HERE ARE THE TOP REASONS TO PICK LIGHTNING SOURCE
1. Distribution channels
2. Comparable prices
3. Trained customer service reps
4. High quality printing
5. Quick shipping and fulfillment services
6. Free book cover generator
7. Publisher compensation calculator
8. Spine-width calculator
9. Detailed compensation reports
10. Well-known reputation
11. Flexibility with wholesale discount
12. Ability to return books
13. Ability to choose 3 BISAC codes
14. Quality compensation tracking systems
15. Nonexclusive relationship
REASONS TO EITHER HIRE A BOOK DESIGNER OR NOT CHOOSE LIGHTNING SOURCE AT ALL
1. If you are foreign to technology and don’t understand directions very well
2. If you are a self-publishing author and not a publisher
3. If you do not have the budget for setup fees, proofs, and revision uploads
4. If you don’t have access to Adobe Indesign
5. If you are not familiar with standard publishing guidelines
Lightning Source is obviously the preferred route for many publishers, but it isn’t for everyone. Do your research and remember to weigh the pros and cons.