TOP TEN STEPS
1. Create a business name. Search online to make sure that no one else is using that name. If it’s available, then purchase the domain name right away.
2. Register your name as a DBA at the local county clerk’s office. Then contact either Legal Zoom or Legal Filings to form a Legal Liability Company (LLC).
3. For around $325, you can trademark your name which will protect others from using it. For more information, visit http://www.uspto.gov/.
4. Purchase a set of ISBN’s and register your indie publishing company through Bowker.
5. Open a business account through your local bank. It’s better to get a checking account so that you can write checks for various services.
6. Apply for a business license, wholesale license and seller’s permit through your local city.
7. Contact the IRS to receive an EIN for the purpose of filing taxes. For more information, visit http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online.
8. Create a professional and informative website that includes your contact information, about us, mission statement and more.
9. Find a printing company and distributor that will print and distribute your book to Amazon.com, BN.com and various indie bookstores. Lightning Source, IngramSpark and CreateSpace are the most popular companies that self-publishers and indie presses turn to.
10. Go to Bowker Identifiers to upload pertinent information about your company and your book.